Trekking Colca Canyon 2 days
Day 1: Arequipa - Chivay - San Juan de Chucho - Sangalle
You will be picked up from your hotel around 3.00 am. The ride in the tourist transportation takes around 3 hours until we arrive to the town of Chivay, where we will have our breakfast. After another 1 1/2 hours we will reach Cruz del Condor, there we have a stop to see the fight of the majestic Andean condor. Only 15 minutes fown from the Cruz del Condor we arrive tot the San Miguel lookout point, which is near to the village of Cabanconde. We stop at the rim of the canyon to appreciate the spectacular views. Afterwards we start with the zig-zag decent to the river, this takes about 2-3 hours. Once we are on the other side of the river in San Juan de Chuccho we will have a break and eat our lunch there. After lunch we continue walking on the other side of the canyon, passing through idyllic countryside and the remote villages of Coshñirgua and Malata, before descending to the Oasis, where we stay the night. We will arrive at the Oasis in the afternoon where we can relax and also enjoy a swim in the swimming pool, with a water temperature of about 23 degrees Celcius.
Day 2: Sangalle - Cabanaconde - Chivay - Arequipa
Early in the morning about 4.00 am we get up and start to climb up the canyon, by torch and starlight. The climp up would be too hot by day, that's why we start that early. There is also the option to rent a mule if you feel very tired. After the walk we will enjoy a delicious breakfast of pancakes with jam or scrambled eggs at the Valle de Fuego restaurant. The climb up takes about 2-3 hours and after our breakfast will the tourisitc transport pick us up from the plaza in Cabanaconde between 9:00 adn 10:00 am. Afterwards we will drive back towards the town Chivay, stopping at a lookout point to appreciate the complex pre-Incan terraces of the middle valley, and in the village of Maca for a bathroom stop. In Chivay we take a dip in the hot pools at La Calera and have a buffet lunch. Arrival back in Arequipa is around 6.00 pm.
- Tourist transport (shared with approximately 15 other tourists) including hotel pick up and drop off in central Arequipa
- Qualified guide
- Accommodation and use of the swimming pool at the Oasis
- All meals during the tour (two breakfasts, one lunch, one dinner
- Last lunch in Chivay (on return trip)
- Entry to Cruz del Condor reserve (S/.70, paid separately to the AutoColca local tourism authority)
- Entry to hot pools in Chivay (S/.15)
- Water, snacks, chocolate, etc.
What to Bring:
- Day pack
- Shoes or boots with strong sole
- Trekking pants (shorts-convertible are good)
- short or long-sleeved light layers
- Fleece, sweater or soft shell jacket
- Hat or cap, preferably broad-brimmed, sunglasses, and suncream
- Swimming gear
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Water and chocolate, sweets or other snacks
During sunny conditions you are likely to consume approximately a 1/2 litre of water per hour: we recommend that you carry approximately 1.5 litres of water while trekking. We also recommend that you carry chocolates, sweets, and something salty (to replace minerals lost through sweating). Water and snacks can be bought in all the villages we pass through during this trek, as well as sometimes on the canyon trail itself.
Price per person, based on a tour for at least 2 people